Skip to main content

Everything is new.

This weekend I bit my fella’s armpit.

Because even though I’m 53 and he’s a smidge older, and we’ve both been around plenty of blocks, I still want to thrill him - and myself -  by doing new things together. So I announced my intention, promised I wouldn’t break the skin, and he very kindly let me bite his armpit. Because I want to be the only one who has ever done that to him. It’s SPECIAL. 

When I’m forced to be social, I so often repeat the same stories, because I know that they’ll get the same laughs. With him I don’t want to don the self-deprecating comic persona I use as my shield.

I love telling him things that I have never told anyone before. I love searching for words rather than reading from the script. I love the way he watches me when I’m purposefully putting my words together, building the story just for him.

It was one of those times when I confessed to him an odd secret bad phase from my youth. When I was little enough that I needed to pull a chair over to climb up and reach it, my Mom kept a pewter bowl filled with plastic grapes on the big wooden hutch in the dining room. (Which also held - at various times - cartons of cigarettes, the fancy silverware, the book Martha made for our Dad about Sam’s 17th birthday, which Dad missed because he was in the hospital, having had his penultimate heart attack, the many, many pig gifts that Mom didn’t care to display, and filler paper, among other oddments.)

I don’t know why I first plucked one. Maybe I went to palpate the bunch and one rolled off? Further, I really don’t know why I put it in my mouth. It tasted like dust. My teeth bounced on it, just like me on the trampoline. If I got the little stem-hole just right on my tongue, it made this really appealing pop/suck/smack like what you imagine octopus arms would sound like pulling away from a hug. Obviously, no matter how it happened that first time, I didn’t stop with one.

Those dusty little smackers were addictive. I had to sneak to get them, no mean feat in a house where it was nearly impossible to be alone. I didn’t swallow them. (Probably) But I did eventually denude so many that it got noticed. There was hollering, but I never ever fessed up. Never told a soul until I revealed it to my fella a few months ago. Trying to thrill him by baring my soul, you know. Then I forgot about it. 

Until this weekend when he handed me a box and told me to open it. 

I am 53 and I get luckier every damn day. I cannot wait to teach him how to make the octopus hug sound with his tongue. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to the Dead

Look, I don't know if there's an afterlife. I don't know if souls continue when the meat expires. Talking on the phone is gross and should only be used to report deaths, but I tell you what - if I could find the digits to reach my friend Milo who died last year - I would have him on speaker begging him to sing his guinea pig song to me faster than my bra comes off when I get home from work nowadays. I'd share the link to James McMurtry's song " Long Island Sound " and eat up his reaction. I'd ask him where to go after devouring all the Travis McGee and Dave Robichaux novels.  I'd tell him I miss him. I'd tell him I love him.  Digital messaging would be ideal, because I'd really like to send my old high school friend C.Z., who died a few years ago, a link to the cheesy "Eye of the Tiger" video and poke fun at him for purchasing the trumpet sheet music in middle school, though I was a chum and helped him learn it.  Recently the Rock...

Band of Brothers

My magnificent cousin Jim died unexpectedly this past October, and even though we met in person only once, we connected on social media back in 2010, and I quickly became his lifelong fan. Four months after his death and I still find myself drafting messages to him in my head, only to be gutted when I remember that he's not reachable anymore. Jim was brilliant, delightfully curious, interesting and interested, a fantastic writer, unfailingly kind, and I ended up loving him like a brother. Except he was easier to love than my actual brothers, because I didn't have a single bad memory with him.   My cousin Jim never once threw a dart with such force that it stuck in my back. He did not join the phalanx of my actual brothers with their actual BB guns on the front porch, awaiting the arrival of a sweet soft-spoken beau of mine in high school, and did not help deliver the pointed threats about what would happen if that shy, tender boy besmirched my honor.  He did not discover...

Good grief

While I appreciate the idea of the whole 'rainbow bridge' thing, even typing those two words makes me feel like I'm a Precious Moments figurine - way too saccharine and hackneyed, like how everything nowadays is a 'journey' - weight loss, divorce, menopause, constipation. Not everything needs to be injected with meaning.  This past Wednesday, my youngest and I took Dottie the Elder, our 19 year old cat, to the vet so she could begin her next assignment. We had her euthanized, just with a different euphemism.  Dottie Kittaen Dottie was a good cat, and I've written about her before so will skip the obituary, but I am surprised that the removal of one 5 pound elderly feline could leave such a noticeable hole in the Pleasant Street compound.  The kid was understandably bereft, having known Dottie for as long as they can remember. I cried too, but most of what I felt was gratitude that we can do this for our pets when they're not having any more fun. Gratitude fo...